In partnership with the Maine Memory Network Maine Memory Network

Lunt House, Cumberland at Center streets, Bangor, ca. 1852

Contributed by Maine Historical Society and Maine State Museum
MMN Item 100928 Item Details
Lunt House, Cumberland at Center streets, Bangor, ca. 1852
MMN Item 100928 Zoom


John Martin (1823-1904) drew this illustration of the Lunt House at the corner of Cumberland and Center streets in Bangor as it appeared in the early 1850s when his brother-in-law Luther Cary bought it.

Martin, an accountant and shopkeeper, wrote and illustrated a journal in 1864 that recounted his experiences and activities. He included this illustration on page 402.

Martin wrote of the house's history, "This building was ocupied a number of years by Horatio Beale Painter & glazer then by Mr Samuel Lunt thereby Wm S Persons then by J S Stodard then Mrs Cary sold her premises for about nine hundred dollars and purchased this and ocupied it between one & two years when it was sold to Enoch Tebbetts for twelve hundred dollars and he sold it to Arvida Hayford who is its present owner." (1864)

He added a note in 1871, "Sold by J Robinson to an Irishman and moved to McGaws Brick yard April 6th 1871."

The Mrs. Cary to whom he referred was his mother-in-law. She sold the family home and bought this house, but put it in her son Luther's name.

View additional information about this item on the Maine Memory Network.